Bryan Neyers' TRIAL is on NOVEMBER 6, 2023. He was charged with sexually abusing several students in The Tahoma School District.

MOM

This trial is open to the public. You may join by zoom. Although this will be hard to watch, it will also be highly informative. It will show you how the law is applied to the evidence, how his defense against sexually assaulting kids is constructed (trigger warning- this part will make you feel many emotions, and possibly mind-fucked), and how the truth and advocating for justice and safety for children are presented. 

Here is the state law on reporting child abuse: RCW 26.44.030 ReportsDuty and authority to make...

Investigete west is doing an excellent job investigating and reporting information:

FEATURED IMAGE: Bryan Neyers is accused of raping a boy during a summer field trip at Lake Wilderness Park in 2014 while working as a care provider at the Tahoma School District’s summer enrichment program. (Scott Eklund/InvestigateWest)  

(Wasn't he in high school in 2014?)  (Didn't Bryan Neyers graduate from Tahoma High School in 2015?)

The ability of the state to discipline paraeducators is especially important in cases where misconduct hasn’t risen to the level of a crime, Slagle noted, as the state could take action even if law enforcement officials are unable to. Grooming behavior, which can be subtle, often falls into this category. 

“We see a lot of educators where there’s grooming behavior, but it doesn’t get to a criminal act. So we have the ability to investigate and take action against their certificate,” Slagle said. “I think we would see that with paraeducators, too, if we were able to take action against a certificate.” 

Mandatory reporting

If state education officials gain jurisdiction over paraeducators, they could investigate complaints that school districts file with the office. But in instances where district administrators dismiss complaints raised about an employee — as is alleged in the case of Neyers — a report might never make it to the state, Slagle said. 

For this reason, when school personnel have reasonable cause to believe child abuse has occurred, it’s crucial for them to follow through with state law mandating them to report it to law enforcement or the state Department of Children, Youth and Families, said Chris Johnson at the King County Sexual Assault Resource Center, a nonprofit organization serving people affected by sexual violence. 

“It’s really up to DCYF or law enforcement to do the investigation into what is going on. It’s a school’s responsibility to report these allegations,” Johnson said.

But much of the time, suspicions of child abuse aren’t black and white, leading school personnel to first report it to their administrators rather than going straight to law enforcement, Johnson said.

King County residents who aren’t sure if a child abuse concern is severe enough to report to law enforcement can call the center’s 24/7 confidential resource line and talk to a sexual violence advocate for advice on how to proceed.  The King County Sexual Assault Resource Center’s 24-hour Resource Line is available seven days a week with free, confidential help and information at 1-888-99-VOICE (1-888-998-6423). More resources are available at www.kcsarc.org.

https://www.invw.org/2023/09/22/despite-working-closely-with-kids-wa-paraeducators-face-limited-oversight/?utm_source=InvestigateWest&utm_campaign=f79f945a21-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2022_ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Justin,

No I didn't search for a link yet, but I plan to. The court documents will show if its a Kent or Seattle case. I do not know how to search the superior court trial hearings. Do you? 

Thank you!

• Like 1

You can find the court case information at King County Script. The Zoom link will not be available until it gets closer to the trial date, and they post the trial calendar online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Barb, that's a great idea. 

Justin has spoken to Jason Rantz before. This would help spead awareness of how critical it is to take all concerns seriously from the start. Thank you!

15 minutes ago, Court320 said:

You can find the court case information at King County Script. The Zoom link will not be available until it gets closer to the trial date, and they post the trial calendar online.

To Court320:

Thank you!!!  I didn't think of that. Your input is always helpful,, and Im so curious about what "court320" means, or how it is meaningful to you?  

Happy to help, this issue is SO important and I’ve been following it from the start!! Court320 is just a screen name, my name is Courtney and 320 is my birthdate (March 20)

6 hours ago, Court320 said:

Happy to help, this issue is SO important and I’ve been following it from the start!! Court320 is just a screen name, my name is Courtney and 320 is my birthdate (March 20)

Oh cool! I thought maybe you worked at a court! 

• 2 weeks later...

Judge Maureen McKee is assigned to Bryan Neyers' sexual assault case. Thank you Court320 for sharing the docket. Can we access the Review Hearing with Judge McKee set for Halloween at 1:00?

Judge McKee is a former PUBLIC DEFENDER. She was the supervising attorney at the King County Public Defender's Association from 2002 to 2019. Inslee appointed her to the superior court bench in late 2018/January 2019. She has a history of defending criminals, minimizing crimes, and lowering bail for violent sexual offenders.  

Based on her professional history, her bias in favor of criminals, and her published statements in the news expressing her desire to reduce legal consequences for violent sexual predators who recently raped multiple young girls in our area, it is likely that she will not hold Bryan Neyers appropriately accountable for sexually assaulting students in the Tahoma School District. 

What responsibility did CPS and the Maple Valley Police Department have in the Bryan Neyers case? Has anyone heard evidence of their involvement? I read that TSD failed to report suspicions of child sexual abuse to CPS and Law Enforcement, but I really don't know this factually.

This is just my opinion, and I welcome other perspectives, but what I see here are examples of Social Injustice, Systemic Oppression, and Systemic Failures:

The absence of, or actions, (or failure to act) of: (1) CPS and (2) Law Enforcement; (3)Tahoma School District minimizing & ignoring students' disclosures of Neyers' grooming behavior & abuse, and staff & parents' concerns, and allowing unsafe adults to be alone with students (4) TSD Superintendent's actions/inactions (5) TSD School Board, and (6) Judge McKee not holding violent sexual predators accountable, and therefore not preventing and protecting children from sexual assaults, rape, and so on...

"In a startling follow-up to a case that allowed a RAPIST to serve 15 months in jail – only to beat a man in a wheelchair at Bellevue Transit Center last month – the same King County judge has shocked local law enforcement officials, prosecutors, and even defense attorneys involved in a separate case.

On Wednesday, King County Superior Court judge Maureen McKee ignored the 10-year sentence plea agreement reached by prosecutors and the defense team for Jeffery Hamlet and reduced his sentence to just 7.5 years. With three years already served, Hamlet could be back on the streets in four years.

During her ruling, McKee told Hamlet that if state law allowed her, she would have given him an even lesser sentence, and told Hamlet he was not a threat to the public.

Three years ago, court documents show, Hamlet was arrested after threatening to kill the mother of his son, shooting at two Normandy Park police officers, and using a gun to carjack two people before leading cops on a rush-hour chase that led to a lengthy standoff. Several days earlier, Hamlet learned about the death of his 3-year-old son, allegedly at the hands of the toddler’s mother’s boyfriend.

McKee is the same judge who assigned Gabriel Vargas-Garcia, 25, to just 15 months in jail after his May 2021 conviction for raping a 16-year-old girl in 2019. According to ChangeWA.org, Vargas-Garcia was also under investigation for another rape in Kent at the time of his conviction.

On July 13 (2022), less than two days after his prison release for the rape, Vargas-Garcia was captured on security cameras in the beating death of a 63-year-old disabled man in a wheelchair at Bellevue Transit Center. Video appears to show newly-released Vargas-Garcia bashing his victim’s head for 90 seconds. Vargas-Garcia was captured after witnesses called Bellevue police.

Judge McKee was also on the bench, ignoring prosecutors’ requests in a summer 2021 Belltown shooting case. Prosecutors asked for $2 million bail against murder suspect Isaiah “Junior” Tulasaga, 25, claiming he posed a threat to public safety. Police say Tulasaga shot Ilario Ngauamo, 26, outside a Seattle nightclub during a late-night fight. McKee chose to reduce Tulasaga’s bail to $150,000 – without requiring him to turn over any of his weapons.

In an unusual move, prosecutors were so concerned about this leniency that they appealed McKee’s decision to Judge Melinda Young. Young maintained Tulasaga’s lower bail but ordered him to surrender his guns and concealed carry permit, wear electronic monitoring, and remain in King County pending trial.

“After the judge’s decision to lower the bail, there were people in our office who lost sleep over that because we don’t want to see violence continuing,” King County Prosecutor’s Office spokesman Casey McNerthney said at the time.

And now, this week, despite an emotional plea from one of the Normandy Park police officers who was shot at by Jefferey Hamlet, Judge McKee has done it again: a light sentence despite committing a felony with a gun.

So why is this happening over and over? Because we have judges like Maureen McKee, Averil Rothrock, and Nelson Lee. They were all appointed by Gov. Jay Inslee and voters somehow re-elect them. These judges do not believe they are here for us. They believe they are here for the criminals. We need to remember this next time we vote." -Dori

Photo from King County Superior Court...

• Like 2