Alternative schooling options

Nathalie

Hello friends,

While there is still a little bit of time left I would like to ask for an advice. We found ourselves disappointed with the current level of education (surprise!), especially at the middle/high school level. We are trying to utilize what we can at middle school level, hi-cap, accelerated math etc. but lack of flexibility and challenge for someone above average and overall culture is upsetting.

So I thought if anyone had any experience with other options, like private, in-person, online, hybrid, homeschooling, enrichment programs, etc. please share it if you don't mind. Positive or negative experience, it is all valuable.

Also, if you know of any groups on FB or somewhere else discussing similar issues please let me know.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hi @Nathalie

We experienced the same problems a few years back. Both of our children are in the top percentile in math in the country. One is actually competing next month in a regional competition for the Western US, and could qualify for nationals if he places high enough. The elementary schools actually recognized this and offered hi-cap, but once our oldest hit middle school she was ignored and placed in the normal math class. This was garbage and we asked her to be moved to advanced math, but STMS told us to pound sand. Perhaps my oldest didn't meet their DEI quota, not sure. The instruction in middle school overall was just terrible though

That was our final straw so we pulled them both at that point and moved them to private school. The private school, conducted placement testing and immediately placed them into the correct math in their first year. Then, when they hit the correct age they tested them for double accelerated (which essentially allows them to skip two grades of math). Our experience was way better with private in terms of academics. While the academics still aren't where they should be IMO, it is light years ahead of public school. Considering Tahoma is supposed to be one of the best, I can't imagine how bad other public school are right now.

So with that I 100% vouch for private school for any parents who can afford it and can find an opening (they are popular and often have waiting lists now). We currently go to Renton Christian, but I would highly recommend you check out the new Grace Point Academy in Enumclaw if your kids are 6th Grade and under. They are the only "Classical" education in our area (unless you want to drive to Bellevue or farther). If you unfamiliar (most people are), Classical education is hands down the best (but it is also the most rigorous), as it promotes critical thinking and deep understanding of subjects vs learning how to simply regurgitate facts. For example, if they are learning about the constitution, they will actually read the constitution (and not just a textbook about it), round table discuss it and then write about it. Their papers will then be graded overall on it's English and Historical comprehension (where as our current educational system segregates subjects oddly). 

The school is newer though, so with many private schools, if the extra curriculars are crucial (like sports, autoshop, etc), you may have to find those elsewhere.

We do have a few friends that homeschool as well. It is now easier than ever to do this, and those who do absolutely love it. I know they have a weekly co-op in Auburn where parent volunteers teach subjects in a group setting to get the kids social time and learn additional topics. Since much of the home school curriculum is online, it's easier for parents to navigate this. We really need to get those resources on our website. If that is an option you want to look into more, let me know and I will reach out and see what I can find. We actually weight doing this every year, but our kids want to remain in their current school because they enjoy it now. They also love that they can keep a flexible schedule and don't have to plan around school days.

On a side note, the public schools have to allow you to conduct things your homeschool or private school may not offer (like sports), so if those are important there are options. 

I'll see if anyone I know has good resources.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Justin, thank you for your input.

We are beyond Grace Point Academy, grades 8, 11 next year. I did check them too when their adds just appeared.

I wish we'd have private school choice program like some other states. I tried to follow what's happening here regarding that issue but it looked hopeless to me.

We will be checking our options. I am not sure about homeschooling yet as it would probably be a lot of online time. But this option is also on the table.

@Nathalie

We've been compiling great information regarding homeschool options. I think there would be a lot of online time, but parents have told us that you can actually "split" home school and continue to use public school for the additional classes, clubs and sports you need. This could be a good alternative, you just have to notify Tahoma of your intentions.

Check out these resources: 

https://washhomeschool.org/

https://narhs.com/

They accept the credits you obtain an Tahoma if you split. We are going to update the website with more resources as we compile them.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Nathalie I've started compiling information on different co-ops and curriculi (curriculums??) from my homeschooling friends. I will work on an article and get that out in the coming months. As a mom of 5, I'm also unsure of this for our family, but I swear I get closer every day.

• Like 2